Saturday, July 24, 2010

Next up: Orochon Ramen

I've been shying away from tackling any quantity challenges lately for three reasons.
First, I am getting fatter and there's no way that this high-carb regime is healthy for me, especially without any exercise. I tried to run yesterday, but my old leg injuries flared up and have put me out of commission for at least a few weeks. I can swim, but I flounder so much in the water that I'm not sure my body is getting a real workout while my lungs scream "stop, stop please, what are you doing?" and I leave the pool within twenty minutes. But, I digress.
Second, my confidence is shaken in my ability to eat large quantities. After racking up fail after fail, whose wouldn't be? I need some serious training time before I go at it again with any semblance of stone cold will power. I know I can do better than probably 90% of humans out there, but to beat these challenges, you need to be in an elite class. I'm just not quite there yet. Soon enough.
Third, there aren't too many food challenges in the L.A. area. I'll be here for two years or more. If I hit them all too soon, I'll run out and get bored and that could spell the end of a glorious era. So, I've got to pace myself.

However, there is a spice challenge at Orochon Ramen (also featured on Man v Food), and it seemed like it was fairly easy for Adam, so I can only assume it will be similarly doable for me. I probably shouldn't get too cocky, I'm sure it's quite terrible, but c'mon... after those hellfire wings in Santa Clara, I'm really not sure there can be much worse. So the Orochon Ramen challenge is fair game. Possibly later today...

No comments: